Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Tart Cherry Crumb Cake

There were several cups of Montmorency cherries left after the Pie class I taught at Heritage Prairie Market last week. They had already been frozen and pitted so I didn't want to re-freeze them. So....even though there was a pan of Baked Bars in the refrigerator, I knew I needed to act quickly, waist-line be damned. Sometimes you have to take one for the team, right?

This easy tart cherry cake seemed like a good answer. Dessert for dinner last night, but breakfast "for the kids" today, too. Basic buttermilk cake topped with tart cherries and crumb topping. How bad could it be? I had hoped to get a more flattering picture today but...
Fortunately, or not, it's gone so there are no other pictures. They loved it and I'll make it again. I think it's a perfect canvas for blueberries, raspberries, strawberries and other manner of summer fruit. I think I'll try raspberry next. What about you?

Tart Cherry Crumb Cake

Topping:
4 T. unsalted butter, melted
3/4 c. flour
1/4 c. sugar
1/4 c. packed brown sugar
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. cinnamon

Cake:
1 1/2 c. flour
1 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
3/4 c. sugar
2 large eggs
1 t. vanilla extract
1/4 c. buttermilk (sour cream or yogurt would work well, too)
2 1/2 c. pitted sour cherries (I would add extra next time)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9" square pan and dust with flour.

Make the topping:
Stir together the butter, flour, sugars, salt and cinnamon.

Make the cake:
Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. With a mixer, cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla. In alternating additions, add the flour mixture and buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour. Beat until just combined. Pour into the prepared pan and smooth with an off-set spatula. Top with cherries in an even layer, then sprinkle with crumb topping.

Bake until brown and a tester inserted comes out clean, about 50-55 minutes.

Cool before cutting and make sure to get some before the kids eat it all.

1 comment:

Georgine said...

You are a blogging and baking fool. This sounds good. I see why the pan is empty. I thought about coming over this afternoon, but B just woke up and it is raining. Wah Wah Wah.