Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The Burger Project - Mustard

The burger project continues with mustard. I like my mustard spicy. The heat that brings tears to your eyes but it's so good you can't stop eating. I also wanted a project more challenging than dump and stir mustard made with mustard powder alone. Far be it from me to do anything simply. I decided to go with a whole grain mustard made with black and yellow mustard.

I purchased my ingredients from The Spice House which makes this a very affordable food project. Mustard seeds go into the bowl with a little bit of ale. I used a bottle of home brew Doug made with a friend. Only the best for this little project. The seeds bathe in beer for 8-12 hours to soften. Mmmmm....

The next day, add dried minced onion (mine were toasted) and mustard powder. I decided to use the hot mustard powder to get that spicy heat that I like.
.
A quick spin through the food processor with a bit of salt and good quality apple cider vinegar and it's mustard. You've got to try this!

Coarse Grain Beer Mustard

1/4 c. brown mustard seeds
1/4 c. yellow mustard seeds
3/4 c. good quality ale

Mix mustard seeds and ale together in a bowl and allow to sit for 8-12 hours.

1 T. mustard powder
1 T. dried minced onion
Add mustard powder and minced onion to the bowl and allow to hydrate about 20 minutes.

1 t. sea salt
1/2 cup good quality apple cider vinegar
After 20 minutes put the mustard mixture into the bowl of a food processor along with salt and cider vinegar.

Blend until most of the seeds are crushed with some whole seeds remaining.

Put mustard into clean jars and allow to cure for 4-5 days.

Yield: About 1 cup


How easy is that? I think it would make great gifts with a 6-pack of the beer you used and a bag of pretzels. Just in time for football season.

As for the burger project, Thursday I hit the market for tomatoes that I'll turn into ketchup!

1 comment:

Georgine said...

You are a stinkin' goddess! How is it possible you have cornered the market on cool? I thought about buying mustard today. That's how lame I am.