Sunday, August 9, 2009

Summer Peach-Rosemary Syrup

In August, I think of peaches. They are my most favorite summer fruit. Perhaps because peaches are so delicate, they seem like a gift. Since even passable peaches aren't available out of season I like to strike while the iron is hot. When I was at the market last Thursday, I couldn't leave without a quart of these beauties, especially given a few ideas I had in mind as to how to enjoy them.

Although I love to eat them out of hand, as with my sugar snap peas, I wanted to do something special. I've been making a lot of fruit and herbal syrups as of late and that seemed like a good way to capture the essence of these beautiful peaches.

A simple sugar syrup infused with the essence of summer peaches and rosemary from my garden seemed to be an amiable combination. The poached peaches and fragrant syrup would be heavenly over ice cream.

However, on this horribly hot afternoon, a Peach-Rosemary Wine Spritzer, after painting the boys' room, was a perfect way to beat the heat. Enjoying the breeze on our front porch and reading a special book it almost didn't seem like a 90 degree day.


Peach and Rosemary Spritzers

3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup water
4 large ripe peaches, halved, pitted & sliced
4 sprigs rosemary

Bring the sugar and water to a boil in a saucepan, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Add the peaches and rosemary then bring to a simmer. Remove pan from the heat, cover and let cool. Throw away the rosemary and if desired, peel the peaches. Put the peaches and syrup into a covered container and refrigerate until very cold.

For spritzers:
4 cups chilled rose wine
1 liter chilled club soda
Sprigs of fresh rosemary

Place several peach slices and about 4 T. of syrup into a ice filled stemmed glass. Add approximately 4 oz. of wine and top with club soda. Garnish with fresh rosemary and serve immediately. This would, of course, be equally refreshing without the wine - even my kids thought it was delicious!

1 comment:

Georgine said...

Ooohhhh!!!!! THis looks so good! Sometimes I cannot believe how creative you are.