Wednesday, September 9, 2009

The Burger Project - Completed!

On Labor Day, good friends gathered at the yellow house to celebrate the "last weekend of summer". Beer was brewed, buns were made, tomatillo salsa devoured and lemonade sold by the younger set. As holiday weekends go this was the best kind - lots of great people enjoying the pursuits of all things food. The perfect time for the The Burger Project Grand Finale!

The final step, after making the buns I posted yesterday, was the meat. Not having a grinder capable of grinding so much steak, we went the easy way and hit the best butcher in town to have sirloin ground for our burgers. We added some W-S hamburger seasoning. I like to think it was my only "cheat". It adds awesome flavor and if it was cheating, it was worth it. 8oz. portions, flattened enough to not pack with a nice divot in the middle to prevent shrinkage. Charcoal grill - DEFINITELY not a time to wimp out with the gas grill.


Here it is. Freshly ground steak cooked over charcoal, topped with homemade ketchup, mustard and pickles, choice of gruyere or blue cheese, garden tomatoes, bibb lettuce, home smoked bacon all between lightly grill-toasted brioche buns.

In retrospect, it was a great food project. I later realized I neglected to slice any onions and I think the ketchup will really be better, more mellow, in the next 4 to 6 weeks but no one complained. I was tremendously pleased with the homemade results.

I enjoyed each step and appreciated the challenge. Certainly not fine dining or rocket science but nonetheless an exercise in real food.

1 comment:

Georgine said...

Do I say this in every post? You are soooooo cool. I mean really. Oh the bacon - I just can't imagine. Now, if only the burgers were bison, I would spin the earth back around and come eat one with you. And yes, I am still a bit crabby. It comes and goes. Depends on how much time I have to spend with Mike and B. HA!