Friday, September 18, 2009

Yellow Tomato Monsters

I am so pleased with the results of my tomato plants this year. Started from a mixed pack of Renee's Heirloom Seeds, I have no idea what they are but I think their my finest gardening feat to date. Some of them are Brandywines and I know some are green zebras which are great with all things Mexican, by the way. The yellow monster however, remains nameless. They are not all this size as you can see but this guy weighed in at 2# 1 oz. Too bad I missed the fair.

The other cool surprise about the no-names is the rosey hue that creeps up from the bottom, actually stains the center of the tomato as well. A light, citrus tomato flavor with nicely balanced acid. It's the most beautiful tomato I've ever seen and it came from my backyard. A very proud moment.

What do you do when you have a glut of gigantic tomatoes and need a side dish? Make tomatoes provencal, of course. Layer tomatoes, top with panko tossed with a bit of parmesan, a tiny bit of lemon zest, fresh thyme leaves and coarse sea salt and black pepper. Pop it in the oven....


It was every bit as delicious as it looks.

Really though, if you know what those yellow monsters are, drop me a line!

1 comment:

Razzie said...

I linked to your blog from Lisa from Champaign Taste, I would guess that it is a Striped German tomato, We used to grow then and often now buy them from Blue Moon Farm in Urbana.