Tuesday, January 26, 2010

J-E-L-L-O and Quinoa

Jell-o was the hit last night. Strawberry Banana with Fruit Cocktail in Heavy Syrup. Say what you will - I grew up on Jell-o and have a soft (jiggling?) place for it in my heart. I very seldom make it anymore, but it's a comfort food. We had Jell-o on the table a lot when I was a kid. For us it was a salad. Doug says it's dessert. What do you think?

Comments from the kids on the entree du jour included, "it tastes like fake cheese.", and "my stomach feels weird". Is it too soon to think I am gaining ground?


Yesterday afternoon, my covered cake plate was looked so sad and empty, I couldn't help but bake something. The kids may eat Cocoa Puffs, but I needed something more.


Prior to the project inception, I planned to make Quinoa-Fruit Muffins. A recipe from Martha Stewart, it's one of my favorite breakfast treats. I can make the quinoa the day before, even several days before. It can also be frozen for later use when recipes call but time is short. One uncooked cup will yield three cups cooked. Since this recipe only calls for 2 cooked cups, the third cup goes into a cereal bowl with a bit of brown sugar and some milk. A tasty protein-based breakfast for mom.

Quinoa includes all the essential amino acids making it a complete protein. These muffins make for a great breakfast or snack on the run. Not just limited to baking either you may use it as you would rice or pasta.


This muffin recipe has a canola oil base - making it super quick. Since it's so basic it's easy to make it your own, too. Ginger? Cardamom? Fresh raspberries? Apricots? Nuts? You name it.

The original recipe calls for 1/2 cup dried fruit. I like to add more, closer to a cup. I mix whatever I have in the house. Yesterday it was raisins, dried cranberries and chopped dried plums.


One recipe made 12 regular sized muffins and 12 minis. I love these unbleached paper cups. They're compost able, too


I ate two of the regular sized muffins for breakfast with a cup of coffee and feel full but not stuffed and completely satisfied.

Better than Cocoa Puffs any day.

Quinoa Muffins
Adapted from Martha Stewart Everyday Food

1 cup quinoa, rinsed
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 c. dark brown sugar
1 t. cinnamon
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
1 cup dried fruit, larger fruits chopped
3/4 cup milk
1 large egg
1 t. vanilla extract

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium saucepan, bring quinoa and 1 cup water to a boil. Reduce to a simmer; cover and cook until water has been absorbed and quinoa is tender, 11-13 minutes.

Prepare muffin pan with liners or lightly grease and flour. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, dried fruit and 2 cups cooked quinoa. Reserve leftovers for later use.

In a small bowl, whisk together oil, milk, egg and vanilla. Add milk mixture to flour mixture and stir until just combined; divide among prepared muffin cups.

Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffins comes out clean, 25-30 minutes. (minis took about 18). Cool in pan for 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container up to 5 days.

2 comments:

Georgine said...

The muffins look good! What did you make the kids for dinner that tasted like fake cheese?

the wild raspberry said...

yummmm.