Monday, February 1, 2010

If I Knew You Were Comin'....

I love bundt cakes. A childhood memory - remember the tunnel of fudge? The most amazing thing when you're eight. Bundt cakes are easy, make a killer dessert cake and overnight magically turn into coffee cake, just in time for breakfast. The other cool thing about bundt cakes is that you can make them in any flavor you can dream.

That said, Saturday morning I was faced with a minor problem. What to do with an open bottle of quite good red wine that I know will not be enjoyed before it turns. As luck would have it, in perusing my recipe file, I came across the perfect answer. A bundt cake.



Quickly whisk the dry ingredients together. The recipe calls specifically for natural cocoa - not dutch process. If a recipe specifies, I follow the directions since it's a science thing.



Whip the butter, add the sugar and then incorporate flour and the wine. Seems weird.



It is the most moist and flavorful tender crumb chocolate cake to ever be made so quickly. First the richness of red wine then intense chocolate flavor. Exhale through the nose like with wine in a glass for a fruity finish. I LOVE THIS CAKE! An honorable way for a forlorn bottle of red wine to give to the last drop.

And by the way, if I know you are comin', I'll bake a bundt! Promise.

Chocolate-Red Wine Cake

Food and Wine - September 2009

2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup natural unsweetned natural cocoa powder
1 1/4 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
2 sticks butter, softened
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 large eggs
1 t. vanilla extract
1 3/4 c. dry red wine
confectioner's sugar, for dusting
whipped cream for serving

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 12 cup bundt pan.

In a bowl whisk the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.

In a large bowl, using a handheld electric mixer (I used a stand mixer), beat the butter with the sugar at medium-high spread until fluffy. Ad the eggs, one at a time, and beat until incorporated. Add the vanilla and beat 2 minutes longer.

Working in two batches, alternately fold in the dry ingredients and the wine, until just incorporated.

Scrape the batter in to the prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn it out onto a rack; let cool compeltely.
Dust the cake with confectioner's sugar and served with whipped cream, if desired.

2 comments:

Emily said...

That sounds amazing!!! I have a bottle of red that I'd like to open for a wee glass with dinner; tomorrow I will attempt the cake! But now I'm off to make the Meyer Lemon Rosemary Cake I meant to do yesterday. Thanks Jenn!

pve design said...

The peanut butter chocolate bar cookies are in the oven now, but this recipe shall be saved for this weekend. Did I mention my husband adores chocolate and red wine. He will be thrilled with such a treat.
pve