Monday, October 4, 2010

Boo! It's a Pepper

For those of you not familiar with Doug's hot sauce - I am sorry, you really must catch up! It's bar none, the best and most flavorful heat you'll ever experience. The original of a collection of three, is called Ghost. It's name, ironically enough, is inspired by the Ghost pepper, hailing from India. Home of infernal heat-loving palates.

You can imagine how thrilled I was this spring when Doug expressed interest in growing his OWN ghost peppers for his sauce. Now, admittedly, I think I responded to his interest with a sarcastic smile. Because I am being sarcastic/cynical/nasty? No, because I wanted to do a happy dance. How cool is it that he wants to grown his own peppers? In our backyard. From seed.

Also, maybe there was a bit of a desire for an "I-told-you-so" dance. Haven't crazy looks be sent my way over any of a myriad of ridiculous projects?

He researched online and found the seeds - organic, from Hawaii, $1 a piece. Who am I to question quality ingredients? Never. We have a friend with great greenhouse access. Aren't we lucky?

Eventually, Doug's "babies" as he now refers to them, are ready to go into the ground. There is much talk. Organic potions. Watering between appropriate dry spells. Remember how excited I was? Now.....well, I've been trying to grow food for years but......well, you know.


FINALLY, the peppers were harvested in anticipation of a frost. The first order of business was to dissect some peppers for drying. Laid out on an elevated screen then stashed in a cool, dry spot.


The rest of the peppers went into the dehydrator, a long ago acquisition. It worked beautifully.


Overnight they were done and ready for what I think should be a special edition.


If you'd like to get your hands on some, let me know. I can hook you up - I have an in with the farmer/added value product guy...

1 comment:

Georgine said...

This sauce sounds epic - where do I get a bottle?