Wednesday, October 6, 2010

School Lunch

Lay of the School Lunch

My lunch at school is always good,
I get the very finest food
That any little girl or boy
Requires, to give him health and joy.
I always have a sandwich brown
Of wholewheat bread, the very crown
Of foods composed of grains;
Between the slices, toothsome, sweet,
I find chopped eggs or cheese or meat.
A daintly salad crisp and green,
With dressing in a bottle clean,
Delights my eyes, likewise my tongue,
It's awful good for old and young.
A cooky brown, then juicy fruit;
I tell you what, my lunches suit.


From The Chilren's Book of Food Verses
by Winifred Stuart Gibbs
1924

My how things change....

2 comments:

Nicki said...

Right? Little Bear's school lunch poem would involve nachos and fruit roll-ups!

Emily said...

That is so darling it almost brings a tear to my eye!