Sunday, December 12, 2010

Dear Cheri,


I am blessed to have many, many wonderful people in my life. Family and friends, amazing in the their own right. You are one such friend and one of the most incredible people I am privileged to know. Mother, wife, daughter, friend and talented artist. A tireless volunteer, how you manage to share so much of yourself with so many is truly enviable.

You give so much to so many and at the holidays, if possible, you kick it into high-er gear....

One of the many thing she does (besides support the human spirit) is host a holiday party for the children of Lazarus House in St. Charles. Last year, I made some cinnamon ornaments for her to give to the kids to decorate.

Have you ever made these ornaments? They've been around for years, are so simple and warm the air with the fragrance of Christmas.


All that's needed are a few ingredients from the dollar store. Applesauce, glue and cinnamon.


Roll it out with a sprinkle of flour to prevent this damp dough from sticking too much. While any shaped cookie cutter works, I am partial to my giant mitten. Festive for the holidays but still welcome in January.


After rolling them out, make a hole with a drinking straw and place them onto a parchment paper lined sheet pan. Turn cut-outs a couple times a day. It'll take a few days for them to dry completely.

Once dry they can be painted, glittered and glued. Tied with yarn they are adorable hung on the tree or door knob or hidden anywhere their cinnamon-y scent is welcome.

Thank you Cheri, for giving me the opportunity to share a simple thing that I can do. For reminding me to give. For letting me help in the smallest way to warm the hearts of others.

I am truly grateful for you and your amazing friendship.

Christmas Love,

Jennifer


Cinnamon Ornaments

1# cinnamon
35oz. applesauce
2 oz. school glue

Mix all ingredients together to form a stiff dough. Allow to rest a few minutes to hydrate then roll out to a 1/2" thickness. Cut into shapes with cookie cutters then allow to completely air dry before letting your imagination run wild with decorating ideas.

No comments: