Sunday, February 20, 2011

Respect Thy Food


Last week I finally broke down and bought a pair of poultry shears. It's something I've threatened to do for quite awhile but never seemed to commit. Poultry shears allow you to buy a less processed whole chicken and perhaps, if saving on the whole bird, enabling you to buy a organic or local bird. Finding ways to use a whole bird, beyond a roast chicken, I often encourage my class participants to do. A chicken has lots of good parts besides the monstrous breasts, which quite frankly are a bit frightening. Frightening quickly becomes horrifying if you look into it any further.

These shears have allowed me more control over our food and greater respect for the animal - all of its parts.

That's the way it should be.

1 comment:

lazy said...

We have a pair of wustoff that we got for or wedding. I'm sad to say I have yet to use them. I think u just encouraged me to.