Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Getting Ready To Garden


Every year I say, "This is going to be the best garden yet!". While each year gets better, I don't think it's in the cards for me to be a fabulous gardener. Nonetheless, I forge ahead every year, researching, changing and modifying plans in search of....the best garden yet.

The most recent addition to my plan is the cold frame Doug built for me. He used found wood and an old paned storm window. (We have a habit of collecting them) Last Friday when it was beautiful t-shirt weather for a few hours, I set out to plant some spinach and greens. The anticipation of homegrown food is building.



Pretty nice cold frame, huh?

I've got a line on heirloom tomato plants, have extra space since the stump in the corner has been ground out and I am hoping that June's incessant fence line laps with her boyfriend haven't destroyed my rhubarb. (I'm not holding my breath.)

We have decided to finally invest in a proper fence to enclose our corner garden. We will line it with hardware cloth to keep the bunnies out but really it needs to be June proof. We were hoping her fence leaping would end when she no longer had access to the slightly dipping fence where the mulberry tree used to live. Then we found she could jump the full four feet. Do you think she's a floozy?


Lid down. Come on sun.

Now all there is to do is wait.

And plant peas on St. Patrick's Day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ooh, I really like the idea to use the door! My cousin Anna forwarded me your blog. Excited to follow!