Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Who Knew?

So where have I been?

The many healthy, whole food, smart living magazines I've bought, subscribe to or read in line at the grocery store have taught me many things about food. Apparently though, I skipped over, or disregarded, all of the information about the mushrooms. I hated them as a child. White buttom mushrooms still gross me out. I later learned to love portabellos and now I truly appreciate them all. I still won't eat them raw though.

Though I hate to use the expression super food - this is what these little fungi are. They are low in carbs and calories, high in protein and fiber. There is more potassium in one medium portabello than in a banana. Perhaps they should be added to the post run buffet at finish lines? Could they really stop my migraines?


I came home from my last trip to the Green City Market with, among (many) other things, a pound of assorted locally grown mushrooms. Portabellos, oyster and shiitake. They were for Doug since he really loves mushrooms.


I sliced them and sauteed them with olive oil, a bunch of garlic, salt and pepper. They were flavorful and meaty and delicious.

While thus far this super food hasn't enabled me run faster or jumper higher, I think I'll stick with them.

They were really, really good.

3 comments:

amy wolgemuth bordoni said...

I've always wanted to go to that market. When is it? The mushrooms look yummy. I am a fan!

Anonymous said...

We often choose a good Portobello in leu of a steak. Though I have to say my favorite mushroom have to be Morels! We make vegetarian pasta or mix ground beef with a pound of mushrooms in the Cuisineart!

Jennifer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.