Friday, April 15, 2011

Sophisticated Mama

Isn't it funny how as we age our tastes change? The fabric on the arm chair in the living room (I think I've mentioned it here before) that I loved when I had it made, now makes me twitch. Those shoes I thought were so cute that now live on the top shelf in the closet. Let's just let that one alone. Similarly, for years, softly cooked eggs made me shudder. Now, at the most random moments I crave them. The thought of Eggs Benedict makes me salivate. What's that about?

It's easy to attribute my adoration of the lovely runny egg to the virtues of my ladies and the gems they leave me everyday. But, I so vividly remember the first time I ate Eggs Benedict and distinctly remember feeling very sophisticated. Though it's many years, and a backyard flock later, I am convinced it's purely my heightened level of sophistication.

Okay, maybe not.

Anyway.....after the running of my third Shamrock Shuffle we were able to score a primo bar table at one of my favorite places on Michigan Avenue, The Gage.


A brunch and lunch menu - at one time. Good thing I had a bloody mary to help me through it. There were many, many delicious choices, including some of my old favorites, fries with curry dip, Scotch eggs and fried chicken livers. Doug chose a simple prime burger with bleu cheese sauce. It was fabulous. I ate....some...of it.


With all the lovely choices, my desire was clear immediately. Six words. Grits, Goat Cheese, Kale and Eggs.


At this point, I am at an utter failure for words. I know, hard to believe. Absolutely one of the most wonderful dishes I've ever eaten. Absolutely something I could make at home. Absolutely simple. Absolutely perfect. Absolutely worth every penny of $11.

Absolutely the choice of a romantic lady? Dunno.

Absolutely indicative of a sophisticated mama? For sure.

Kool and the Gang fan? Not so much.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm salivating over here! Have you ever tried a soft egg instead of pasta sauce? Yep, you just put a soft egg on top with whatever you have in the pasta already. Delicious!