Thursday, May 5, 2011

Food Snob Seeks Banana Bread

I am not fond of the term foodie. I abhor the thought that local or organic food is elitist. I have four kids and there is nothing elitist about my budget or my grocery list. I recently had a minor (really minor) revelation about the most basic of homemade foods. Banana bread. (I told you it was minor) I've never posted a banana bread recipe and quite honestly have avoided it for blog purposes. Making banana bread for anything "special" is so prosaic. Prosaic is even too fancy a word for banana bread. So really, I am a food snob, aren't I?

But, doesn't everyone have memories of mom's banana bread? Who hasn't made a loaf to save sad fruit from dying a slow death by blackening? Made a loaf as a thoughtful gift for a neighbor? Is it not the "go-to" baked good for moms across America?

In truth, I have made hundreds of loaves of banana bread. I would critique most as just okay but nonetheless, I'd willingly try any recipe. A one shot deal and then off to the next in search of the banana bread to end all banana breads.


It's all about the recipe and finding a good one can be tough. The only one I've truly ever been attached to is my mom's. The only problem with that is I (shamefully?) admit that banana bread isn't worth 2 sticks of butter. Canola oil, let's talk. But butter? I recently discovered the recipe I now turn to when inexpensive breakfast/snack food needs call. Do I have to say it? Williams-Sonoma. Lord you'd think I was a paid spokes person.


Worth trying? Certainly. Worth typing out for this post? No way. You'll find it here.

Sorry, old judgments die hard.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum! Also odd as we have some dying bananas on the counter and I had just pulled out my recipe book. Now I'm determined to make some banana bread today!

amy wolgemuth bordoni said...

I have also been in pursuit of the ultimate banana bread recipe - all. my. life. Lately, I have been perfecting the "healthy" banana bread that still tastes rich and delicious. When I have that mastered, I'll let you know. In the meantime, I'll try to WS recipe.