Thursday, August 4, 2011

Chilled Summer Oatmeal

Breakfast is a problem for me. Truth be told, if a chocolate cake was permanently parked next to the espresso machine, I'd be okay. However there isn't and really for figure(?) conservation it's best that way. More often than not I find myself away from home at 1pm and realize I've eaten nothing at all.

I love oatmeal and it's convenience. A pot of steel cut oats on the stove ready to warm up on cold winter morning is cozy. But in the summer? Thank goodness for Chilled Summer Oatmeal. With a quick mix (and no cooking) of a few ingredients - which are most likely in your pantry - you can have a whole week of healthy breakfast. Interested?




Oats. They have to be old-fashioned. If you really love your family and aren't greedy with the beautiful locally-grown oats use those.



Nuts add a bit of crunch and extra nutrients not offered by a chocolate cake breakfast.


One of the other best parts is the ability to make this all about your summer faves. Fresh peaches, nectarines, blueberries are all at home in a cool bowl of this stuff.



I put all the ingredients in one of those nifty glass containers with the sturdy, plastic tops and stir it up.


Voila - it's breakfast!

This is one of those recipes you can modify however you like with whatever you have. Different yogurts, nuts, juices, spices and seasonal fruits. Think about enhancing it further with a sprinkle of flax seed? Ooohhhh - healthy. The possibilities are endless.

I think you could put flax seeds in chocolate cake, too.

Just sayin'.

Chilled Summer Oatmeal
This is the basic recipe but I've experimented with just about everything.


8oz. vanilla yogurt
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats (TJ's toasted are nice)
1/2 cup peach nectar
1/2 cup skim milk
1 large peach, grated
1/2 cup blueberries (I usually toss these in before I eat)
3 T. chopped almonds
Pinch of cinnamon and cardamom

Mix all together, cover and chill overnight.

In the morning spoon into a bowl and sprinkle with a bit of cinnamon, if desired.

Save the cake for lunch.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just love new recipes for common ingredients! I'm going to try this later this week. Have you tried crock pot oatmeal? Fun to wake up to in fall.

Georgine said...

I used to make his, but called it muesli. Oats, yogurt, honey, banana, other fruit. I made it tonight with honey, almonds, cinnamon, raisins, and chia seeds. It tastes good to me, hopefully the kids will like it. They do like chocolate cake.....but rarely is there any left I am through with it.