Thursday, October 6, 2011

Syrup Saves The Day!

I like to serve a special cocktail to special people at special events.

In September, I needed a cocktail/mocktail to celebrate the impending arrival of an itty-bitty someone. (itty- bitties are super special) I had requirements: sparkles, seasonality and herbaceous but where to go?



I decide my flavors would include apple, fresh ginger and some of my Little-Shop-of-Horrors-esque  rosemary.  So, what's a girl to do with said ingredients? Duh. Make syrup. Isn't that what I always do?


Heat, steep, strain, chill.


Add 2-3 tablespoons per serving, top sparkling wine or water. What the hell - maybe a good splash of Cognac if you aren't delivering.

Welcome Fall.

Welcome Lilly Sophia!


Apple-Rosemary Syrup



2 cups apple juice
1 cup sugar
5 or 6 nice sprigs of fresh rosemary

Over medium to medium-high bring the apple juice, sugar and rosemary sprigs just to boiling.

Remove from heat, cover and allow to steep 15-20 minutes.

Strain through a fine mesh sieve into a jar and chill.

Delicious for a cocktail but also try it as a finishing glaze on a still-warm pound cake or drizzled on baked apples.

No comments: