Thursday, April 12, 2012

A Killer Egg Dish for All Seasons


Every recipe box needs to a "go-to" egg dish. A strata, frittata or bake to get you through the holidays. We hosted Easter brunch for many this year and I was looking for something easy. Something that didn't require last minute work, but would be served hot and wouldn't be bad cold. I wanted something different so I scratched frittata off the list. It also couldn't include too much starch so a strata didn't fit the bill either.

A fast search brought me to this lovely dish. It was the perfect way to highlight the eggs from the yellow hen house and the chives from my garden. It saved the day - or at least a bit of my sanity.

 

The custard came together quickly in the Vitamix and I made it about an hour in advance. Once popped into a hot oven, it was on the table in about forty minutes. Gotta love an egg dish like that.

Special thanks to Doug for having the forethought to ask if I would be photographing before the masses hit the table. Gotta love a guy like that. 

Baked Egg Custard with Gruyère and Chives 
I've added a few of my own notes but it's modified in verbiage only
from Epicurious.com
 
6 oz. Gruyère, grated (1 1/2 c.)
1/2 c. chives, chopped
10 large eggs, pastured if possible
1 1/2 c. whole milk
4 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/4 t. grated nutmeg
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 350°F with the rack in middle.

Butter a 2-quart shallow baking dish.

Sprinkle Gruyère and chives evenly in the dish.

Blend eggs, milk, cream cheese, and nutmeg in a blender with 1/2 teaspoon pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt until smooth.

Pour egg mixture over Gruyère and chives in the dish.

Bake until puffed, set, and golden, 35 to 45 minutes.

Serve warm or at room temperature.

No comments: